17 depression Remedies At Home You Should Use
Using some depression remedies at home should not be a bad idea – In fact, it should be one of the best ideas because they have proven to be effective.
Just recently, depression has been a real problem among youths and adults in the country today, as well as celebrities. It can easily be described as a mood disorder that is likely to change a person’s lifestyle and how they relate to their environment. Most depressed persons are likely to feel sad, angry, and lost. There are two major classes of depression.
- The major depressive disorder – ( Severe form of depression) which includes; consistent feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, and sadness.
- The persistent depressive disorder – (Chronic but milder form of depression) which include poor productivity, loss of interest in daily activities, and low self-esteem.
According to research carried out by the Center Of Disease Control And Prevention, it was discovered that over 8.1 percent of adults in America was diagnosed of depression in any given two weeks between the year 2013 to 2016. What this simply implies is that you are not in this alone as there are so many other cases of depression in Nigeria and other African countries.
Now, have you ever wondered about the causes of this depression? Well, you should know that it is not all cases of depression that are due to circumstances. Some other causes of depression are biological which is most likely to be from the family history of the person.
Meanwhile, the examples of depression caused by circumstances include drug abuse, childhood trauma, brain structure, and some serious medical conditions. These medical conditions may include insomnia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and chronic pains.
Here are some signs and symptoms you are likely to observe when you are about to get depressed. They include ;
- Having relationship issues
- Abstaining from social activities
- Thinking of committing suicide
- Thoughts of harming yourself
- Experiencing body pains
- Changes in weight
- Drug abuse
There are many others but for the sake of this post, let’s quickly discuss some major depression remedies at home. These remedies have been proven to be effective. So quickly check them out.
- Get Yourself Together: This is an easy depression remedy at home that only needs your courage. If you can sum up courage, sit back, brainstorm, and think back deeply about the origination of your depression – then you have taken a bold step forward in getting rid of depression. Once you’re able to figure this out, kindly jot them in a piece of paper. Take a look a what you were able to jot down and think for a way to solve these problems.
- Set A Goal: The goal should be to figure out the solution to problems and take action regarding this problem. Meet with those that you feel must have passed through what you are going through because there is nothing strange in our today’s world. There are so many people on earth that have overcome the same problem as yours and your major goal is to find where they are. You may find them online on social media groups and online forums. But don’t forget that we are still discussing depression remedies at home.
- Do exercise regularly: Exercise is just another great depression remedy at home which has saved so many people from taking the wrong decisions. Doing exercise regularly can boost the hormones that are responsible for you to feel good – meanwhile this hormone is known as endorphins. Exercise will also help your brain to always think of positive things that will ease your depression in no time. What kind of exercise are we talking about here? Well, they are just easy exercises you can perform at home which include; walking, jogging, dancing, jumping, and any other feel-good exercises.
- Ensure you eat healthily: Do you know that hunger can worsen your depression state? Well, I am talking from experience here. Just make sure you eat well because this is another proven depression remedies at home. Lest I forget, don’t just eat well but ensure you eat healthily and don’t overeat. According to Cook, who is a psychiatrist at the Depression Research And Clinic Program. He recommends you eat foods that are rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids which include fishes like tuna and salmon. You also consume a lot of folic acid-rich foods like avocado and spinach.
- Ensure you get enough sleep: Just like hunger/overeating – sleeplessness has been proven to worsen depression. Therefore getting enough sleep is one of the depression remedies at home. Now the issue is, most depressed people experience sleeplessness so what can you do? Well, one good solution is to program yourself in such a way that you will be going to bed at night at the same time every day. Meanwhile before doing that, ensure you take away all forms of distractions by switching off your phones, computers, TV, and other things that are likely to prevent you from sleeping.
- Carry Out Your Responsibilities: You should try as much as possible to return to the days that you normally carry out your responsibilities. It may be at school, home, work, and anywhere that depression has deprived you of your responsibilities because this will go a long way in improving your lifestyle.
Thereby taking away your depression thereby this is also one of the best depression remedies at home. In case you don’t have any responsibility even before the depression set in, then you are advised to get a part-time or full-time job for yourself. And if that is not convenient by you; then look for something productive to get yourself busy either online or offline.
- Get Rid Of Negative Thought: Whenever you are depressed, you are likely to start thinking about negative things towards your self and also you tend to bump into ugly conclusions. Now, the best way you can help this kind of situation is to try as much as possible to think good things about yourself.
Ensure you do away with negative thoughts or simply use this logic as a depression remedy at home. Do you feel like everybody hates you but is there good evidence to back this it up? Do you feel like you are a very hopeless person but are you sure of this? Well, I bet you will find no reason to feel bad about yourself after attempting these questions.
- Call Your Doctor Before Attempting Any Depression Medication: Most times you see some medications for depression that you feel will help you in solving your depression issue. But sometimes these medications are not always what they seem to be – this is the reason why you must always confirm from your doctors in order not to take the wrong one that may hurt you. Meanwhile when talking of natural depression remedies at home, then you can try folic acid, SAMe, and Fish Oil.
- Try To Do A New Thing: This will go a long way in diverting your thoughts from negative things. You may pick up a new book in your home, explore it, and practice what you found there. You may also choose to explore the internet to find out amazing stuff you can do. Also, learn to use a different approach in your daily activities.
- Enjoy Yourself: Well I said enjoy yourself doesn’t mean you should get drunk. But you always look for a way to keep yourself alive. Play your favorite song and dance to it, even if you are the only person at home. You should do everything you can in other to take away depression. Depression is not a friend to mankind.
Herbs And Supplement For Depression
Still on depression remedies at home! Here we will be talking about some herbs and supplements you can use whenever you feel depressed. You can use them together with the remedies we discussed earlier for a better result. Kindly check them out below.
- Use of Saffron: Saffron is a known spice that is rich in antioxidant which belongs to the family of Crocus Sativus flower. Even though it is a real scares flower but whenever you are opportune to get it, kindly take advantage because it is a well-known anti-depressant. It is known to increase the level of dopamine levels in the human brain. This herb has been proven to improve your mood, thereby reducing depression.
- Use S-adenosylmethionine (SAM-e): This is just another mood-boosting formula that you can use as a depression remedy at home. If you are going to be using this supplement, then you are advised not to use it along with other antidepressants as it may lead to stomach pain.
- Use of zinc: A recent study showed that depression can occur in humans when the zinc level in the blood is relatively low because zinc is known to be a nutrient that is connected with the mental capability of the body that includes your behaviors and learning ability. Therefore you are advised to take at least 25mg of zinc daily continuously for 12days in other to cure depression.
- The use of folic acid: Folic acid is just a wonderful supplement for those that are having issues with depression. Just like zinc, it has been discovered that a low level of folic acid in the body is linked with depression. Therefore, taking 500 micrograms of folic acid is capable of acting as an anti-depressant and mood booster. There are some major foods where you can get folic acid which include; beans, avocados, dark leafy greens, sunflower seeds, and many others.
- The use of Omega 3 fatty acids: I guess you must have heard about this supplement before! It is a very common supplement usually extracted from fishes like sardines, salmons, and trout. This supplement is popularly known as fish oil capsules. Meanwhile, this supplement has been proven to serve as a depression remedy at home. You may also choose to increase the number of fishes you consume on each diet for a quicker result.
- The use of vitamin B: Vitamins are such a great blessing to mankind because of their nutritional and health benefits. One of the classes of vitamins that have been proven worthy to fight against depression is the vitamin B. Vitamin B is said to be the most important class of vitamins that assists in the proper functioning of the brain. Most especially vitamin B 12 and Vitamin B6. You can use this vitamin supplement as a very good anti-depressant. Some good sources of vitamin B 12 include fish, egg, meats, and others.
- The use of vitamin D: Here is another great vitamin that is a good fit for anti-depressants for those going through a depression state. According to a recent study carried out in the US. It has been discovered that taking a lot of vitamin D will help you ease depression to its bearable minimum. Though there is the presence of vitamin D in the sun why don’t you try other sources of vitamin D like cod liver oil, sardines, eggs, cheese, beef, liver, tuna, mackerel, and many others?
Having gone through the whole depression remedies at home that we have discussed in this article – then it is left to you to take action. Get up today and say a NO to depression. Depression will cause more harm than good. So don’t be a victim of this dreadful disease called depression.
You may save a soul suffering from depression just by sharing using the social share button and also drop your comments below to let us know what you think about these depression home remedies.