Treatment For Social Anxiety, Causes, and Symptoms
Let’s talk about some treatment for social anxiety today but before I proceed, what do understand by social anxiety? Well, social anxiety can equally be classified as social phobia which is a mental disorder where someone begins to find it difficult to interact with people and activities around them. The two most popular types of a social anxiety disorder include;
- The performance only disorder – which is a situation where a person experiences anxiety during any form of performance.
- The diagnostic social anxiety disorder – which is often as a result of deficiency of some hormones in the brain that are responsible for boosting your mood and anxiety.
Some factors often lead to social anxiety. Some of them include;
- Physical, emotional, and sexual abuse could be a factor
- Being bullied and teased among your peers.
- Lack of parental love and care
- Death of loved ones
- Pregnancy and maternal stress could be another factor and much more.
Well, it has been discovered that there are so many people who keep a watch on their calendars just to know the next event coming up there way because they have no problems in terms of relating with people around them and their environment.
Meanwhile, we also have some other set of people who are unable to do this because of this disorder known as social anxiety. Social anxiety has been proven to lead to the following ;
- Inability to show your potentials
- Loss of great opportunities
- Extreme low self-esteem
- It may degenerate into depression
Signs and symptoms of Social anxiety
In other, for you to be on a safe side we have decided to bring you some highly recommended treatments for social anxiety. But you have to watch out for these symptoms below in other to know when to be conscious of social anxiety.
- When you are unable to do things when people are watching
- When you try as much as possible to avoid eye contact
- When you begin to have an extreme sense of fear and panic attacks
- When you try to always avoid group conversations, parties, eating with a group, and other social activities.
- When start experiencing symptoms such as sweating, blushing, nausea, trembling, shortness in breath, and increased heartbeat rate.
At this point, I believe you have some basic knowledge about social anxiety – so let’s get down to the most recommended treatments for social anxiety. These will range from medical treatment, psychological treatments, and some social practices. Therefore there are a lot of options for you to select from.
- Meet a Psychotherapist: Psychotherapy is a method that is used to solve most mental disorders include social anxiety. This method involves personal interaction with a Psychotherapist where the person is meant to help you in solving your social anxiety problem because that is their profession. They get facts from the personal conversation both of you have had and suggest the best ways for you to overcome them. In other to find a psychotherapist, you should visit some major health care centers close to you.
- Go for medications: Sometimes when social anxiety becomes extreme, the person is usually advised to go for some medications. These medications should be prescribed by the doctor, meanwhile, a very popular first-time treatment is the SSRIs which is an acronym for Selective Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors. There are other medications which include paroxetine, sertraline(Zoloft). All these medications work because of their ability to boost the level of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin functions as a neurotransmitter in the brain, therefore whenever this hormone is deficient in the brain, it often leads to anxiety and depression
- Try out other antidepressants: Antidepressants have also been proven to be a treatment for social anxiety because in some cases the SSRIs may not be effective. So the SNRIs which is also an acronym of Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors will send good change signals to the brain in other to improve your mood. Some recommended SSRIs for you include; duloxetine, venlafaxine, fetzima, amongst others.
- Treat using beta-blockers: These beta-blockers are mainly used for the treatment of high blood pressure but recent studies have found out that they have effects on those suffering from social anxiety symptoms such as sweating, increased heart rate, and tremors. Some of these beta-blockers include propranolol and atenolol. There is a particular type of social anxiety that beta-blockers work best for which is known as performance anxiety.
- The use of anti-anxiety medications: Well this was supposed to be on top of the list but unfortunately this list is arranged in no particular order. Now there are some anti-anxiety medications that you can take that works as a treatment for social anxiety. Some of these anti-anxiety medications include lorazepam(Ativan), clonazepam(Klonopin), alprazolam(Xanax), diazepam(Valium). These medications seem to be one the fastest on this list because they are specifically made for suppression anxiety but you should see your doctors on the right dosage and time you should take this medication so that it won’t have any sedative effect on you.
- Go for some alternative treatment for social anxiety: Some of these alternative treatments have been proven to help those suffering from social anxiety and they include; deep breathing exercises, yoga, and acupuncture. Well, these alternative treatments will work if the person’s social anxiety disorder is not extreme. Well, I would prefer you to go for exercise because it seems to be more convenient.
- Try to change your lifestyle: I guess this is the first do it yourself treatment for social anxiety on this list today. Yes changing your lifestyle may be challenging but you can make it happen by practice. You can start by involving yourself in some group activities for about 30minutes every day but if you have no group around to practice this. Then recent studies have proven that doing some exercises everyday is capable of increasing the endorphins hormones in the brain. This feels good hormone is responsible for boosting your mood and anxiety.
- Avoid taking caffeine: This is another potential treatment for social anxiety. Caffeine has been proven to worsen anxiety. Therefore avoiding caffeine will do you a lot of benefits if you are suffering from social anxiety. Some caffeine you should try as much as possible to avoid include coffee and soda. Well if you can’t do without coffee and soda, then you should reduce the amount you take if you have social anxiety issues.
- Learn to be social: Now tell your self that you can do it. Learning to become social is another treatment for social anxiety. Let’s quickly see some tips that will help you achieve this below:
- Learn to great people first – Saying Good morning when you meet people first will help ease your anxiety
- Learn to maintain eye contact – you can practice this with your friends and relatives without letting them know your aim.
- Try to compliment your friends, families, co-workers e.t.c for example – saying I love your dress and others.
- Learn to muster up the confidence and ask people for help when you are in need
Well, there so many others but the fact is to practice being social every day – you’ll surely get over it with time.
10. Attend Events and Parties: This will go a long way in easing your social anxiety problem. You can choose to go with a just friend. You guys should join other group conversations at the event or more preferably try to make a new friend with similar interests and goals with you. Well, it advisable you practice how to start a conversation at home before going for these events so it won’t be challenging at all. One tip I have for is that you should try as much as possible to avoid starting conversations with a question that requires a yes/no answer.
11. Join a social anxiety support group: You can join a social anxiety support group either offline or online where you will get a lot of help concerning treatment for social anxiety. They will help know the things you need to overcome social anxiety. In this kind of group, you will be opportune to share your personal experiences, your coping skills, your strength, and weaknesses. This will be another great opportunity for you to learn great interactive skills.
12. You are not in this problem alone mindset: Yes the truth is there are so many people having a social anxiety disorder. Therefore you should try to have this mindset that most people are busy facing their various challenges, so nobody has the time to look at what you are not doing right. If can have this kind of mindset, you should see an improvement in your social interaction.
Conclusion: Getting the best and right treatments for social anxiety problems all depends on how ready and prepared you are. You should also note that not social anxiety problems are not only linked to social vises but there are others linked to medical issues. Now it is left for you to decide which of these anxiety treatments suits your social anxiety disorder.
I hope you found this article helpful and useful but you should perform your duty by sharing this article with your friends and families. Also, remember to share your thoughts and let us know what you think about these recommended treatments for social anxiety.