Premature aging or extrinsic aging causes the skin to age faster in a very unnatural way. It happens when things other than your body’s genes influence the rate at which your body ages and causes your skin to appear very old.
In the course of this discussion, you will learn about skin premature aging. The causes, solutions, and prevention. You will also find here the best natural treatments and practices that can help you maintain an ever-young look. Read on!
What Causes The Skin To Age?
Several things cause our skin to start aging. Some of these causes are natural. No matter what we do, we will never have complete control over them. These factors cause a kind of aging known as “Intrinsic aging”. We will learn more about this as we go on.
Apart from the natural factors, other things influence the rate at which the body or our skin ages. These other factors cause a kind of aging known as “Extrinsic aging.” We will learn more about it also as we go on.
Intrinsic Ageing: What You Need To Know
Intrinsic aging is the natural aging process our body experiences as we increase in the number of years we live. This type of aging only makes up a very small percent of the overall aging process our body goes through.
According to previous studies, one major thing that leads to intrinsic aging in your skin is the loss of dermal collagen. Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body. It strengthens and structures our bones, tendons, muscles, and skin.
As we grow older, the production of this protein in our bodies slows down, causing our skin to lose moisture, elasticity, and strength. As a result of that, wrinkles begin to appear on our skin.
This type of aging can be slowed down via antioxidants that improve the resilience, texture, and tone of the skin. These antioxidants are usually found in foods like fruits and vegetables. So if we watch the things we eat and focus only on eating foods with antioxidants and several vitamins, we can be able to slow down the intrinsic aging process of our body.
Foods that contain Vitamins A and E are among the best foods to eat to maintain ever-young skin. Apart from just eating the right foods, you also need to drink more water.
A regular intake of water keeps the skin hydrated and plump. You can also support this by treating your skin with products that are rich in vitamins and antioxidants. That would mean paying closer attention to the kind of soaps, creams, oils, and other things you apply on your skin.
Extrinsic Ageing: All You Need To Know
The other major cause of aging is known as “extrinsic causes”. Extrinsic aging here is the direct opposite of intrinsic aging. It is the kind of aging process in our body that is influenced by external factors, things outside our body.
This kind of aging makes up about 90 percent of the overall aging process of our human body. Below are some of the things that make up the extrinsic aging process of the body.
- Ultraviolet Radiation
Ultraviolet radiation is the energy that the sun emits. It accelerates skin aging and causes other things like ocular damage, tanning, and skin cancer or diseases.
Apart from the sun, other things that can cause ultraviolent radiation includes some types of fluorescent, incandescent, and halogen lights. Certain types of lasers are also known to emit this energy.
Ultraviolent radiation causes sunburn, tanning, and aging by damaging the cells in our skin. Something best referred to as oxidative injury.
Smoking is another major factor that contributes to extrinsic aging. The heat that the burning cigarettes generate increases the chances of the skin developing wrinkles, alongside the movement of the facial muscles.
Nicotine which goes into the body through smoking narrows the blood vessels and flow. This leads to a reduction in the number of nutrients and oxygen that get to the cells on the skin.
Smoking also affects the protein collagen and elastin. This causes the skin to lose moisture, elasticity, and strength.
Nutrition is another major factor in extrinsic aging. What we eat goes a long way to determine how our body ages. Certain types of foods like beans, chickpeas, fish, olive oil, peas, fruits, vegetables, and herbs are known to be rich in antioxidative compounds. These help to lower the aging process of the body.
Other foods like fats and carbohydrates when taken in higher quantities play a role in increasing the risk of the skin developing wrinkles.
Treatment For Skin Premature Ageing
There are several ways premature skin aging can be treated. If you feel your sin is aging prematurely, the first thing to do is to visit a dermatologist. He will conduct several tests on you including the test for cancer of the skin.
This will help him ascertain the exact cause of skin aging and also recommend a possible solution. In most cases where the cause is extrinsic, the dermatologist may suggest a change in lifestyle. For a smoker, you may be asked to quit or minimize it.
You may also have to work on your nutrition. For people with dry skin, this nutrition alongside a regular use of moisturizers may go a long way to help improve your skin condition. Other things that can be suggested by the doctor include:
- Cosmetic surgery. This can help in getting rid of baggy eyelids, sagging skin, etc.
- Botulinum toxin injections
- Resurfacing procedures and
- Vascular laser treatment.
How To Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
While premature skin aging can be treated, the best thing to do is to prevent it from happening in the first place. There are many ways we can prevent or slow down the aging process in our body. Below are some of them.
- Avoid spending so much time outdoors during the middle of the day. That is from 10 am to 2 pm when the sun is at a very high level. If you must participate in outdoor activities at such hours, ensure that you do not spend so much time on them.
- When going outdoors during the middle of the day, ensure you wear things like hats, long sleeve clothes, and trousers/skirts to protect your skin from sunburn.
- If possible, quit smoking and also avoid exposure to certain types of lasers, fluorescent, incandescent, and halogen lights.
- Apply body lotions and creams with sunscreens to help protect your skin from sunburn or tanning.
- Make it a habit to eat fruit and vegetables daily. The two are known to contain vitamins and antioxidants that help to keep your skin looking young and beautiful.
- Drink plenty of water. This is one of the best ways of giving your skin a radiant look. Keeping your skin hydrated is very necessary especially if you have dry and flaky skin.
- Exercise regularly. It is a well-known fact that exercise has a way of keeping the body younger. So make exercising regularly a habit.
- Always visit a dermatologist whenever you notice anything unusual going on with your skin. Do not wait for it to linger before visiting a dermatologist. Ensure you go when it is still early.
- Avoid self medications or the use of drugs not approved for your skin treatment purposes. They can do you more harm than good.
- Avoid alcohol or strongly reduce your intake of it. Alcohol dehydrates the skin, causing us to appear much older.
- Avoid lotions, soaps, and other skincare products that irritate your sin. If you feel a burning or stinging sensation after using a product, do not continue to use it.
- Gently wash your skin every day. At least twice in a day. Especially after sweating heavily.
- Watch your facial expressions. Repetitive facial expressions contract the underlying muscles on your face, making lines to appear on it.
We have in this article discussed the common cause of skin premature aging including how to stop it and look ever young. While it is true that intrinsic aging cannot be prevented completely, extrinsic aging can. By making a change of your lifestyle, eating healthily, exercising regularly, and drinking more water, you can be able to slow down the aging process of your body.
To keep your skin looking very young and beautiful, you must treat it gently by avoiding skincare products that hurt it. You must also avoid too much exposure to direct sunlight by wearing clothes that cover our skin. If you must regularly do things under the sun, you must wear hats, long sleeves, etc.
At the slightest time, you discover certain types of changes on your skin, you must seek professional advice from a dermatologist as soon as you can.
I hope you find the information in this article useful.